Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Kiping, Ice Cream & Hamburgers

It is my first ever official Brigada Eskwela in my life time.

Being in Cagayan De Oro, Mindanao for various work-related meetings and events, it was a destined time for me to be there. I arrived in Gusa Elementary School and the volunteers have started to place in the ground the new plants at the frontage of the school. Some were painting, sweeping, and as the other crew mentioned, cultivating the soil.

Outside the gate, I noticed an unusual street food. I saw two little girls, who were sisters, Marianne & Maicah, who were preparing their basket full of this pancake-like foodies. “Kiping” is P5.00 each. Kiping is wafer made of rice paste. A sweet syrup made or “latik” is poured on it. Latik refers to a thick syrupy caramelized coconut cream used as a dessert condiment.



The innocence in Marianne’s eyes made me wonder. She had a lot of questions. She narrated that she and her sister needed to sell kiping and the sales will be used to buy notebooks, paper, and other school needs. Her mother and father are doing the same thing in other areas, selling kiping. As she watched the volunteers clean up and give an improved look of the façade of their school, she uttered: “Maganda na siya ngayon (Now it is more beautiful!)”, referring to the plants. She was indeed pleased with what she saw.


One kiping led me to buying road ice cream, buko juice, and santol fruit soaked in vinegar, as we ate together by the gate of her school. When I answered her as to where I work, she amazingly and excitedly said with her eyes wide: “Hindi pa ako nakatikim ng hamburger! Hindi pa ako nakapunta doon. (I have not tasted a hamburger and I have not been there.)” I invited her and her sister to a not so close-by restaurant but they said their father will fetch them by 12 o’clock noon time. I just bought them a sandwich. Her sister took a photo of us. And that is how she sincerely hugged my arm. It was a heartfelt gesture.

They are the real beneficiaries of Brigada Eskwela. I hope that they will be motivated to go to school every time they see how clean and beautiful their second home is. As this is just a stepping stone for them to attain their dreams & wishes in their future. Next time, I wish they will have instant notebooks and school materials so that they will have to skip selling kiping and enjoy their summer vacation instead.

Until now, I long to see the two girls when I go back to Cagayan De Oro. And fulfill their simple wish to eat a hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment